(The balance of Seaman Jones's 1931 shipboard diary, inaugurated in the last issue, follows here.)

5 February:Sunday. Usual routine at 6 a.m. Breakfast at 8:35. Ice cream 11. Lunch. Afternoon teas. Left Mollendo at 5:30 p.m. Watched the Deck Tennis. Blew up for dinner. Cool. Up to Ginger's for Tea and Talk. Clock goes on 1 hour tonight.

6 February:Monday. ARICA at 6 a.m. Left at 10 a.m. Usual routine. Nice and cool. Lunch. Chippy's shop. Teas at 4 p.m. Iquique at 5 p.m. Watched the Deck Tennis. Nice weather now. Left Iquique at 9 p.m. Blew up for dinner. Up to Ginger's for Tea and Talk. Turned in at 11:30 p.m.

7 February:Tuesday. At Tocipilla Antofagasm. Usual routine. Left 10 a.m. Ice cream 11a.m. Warm. Lunch 1 p.m. Blew up for dinner. Quite a crowd on board. Ginger not well so no Tea and Talk. Turned in at 10 p.m.

8 February:Wednesday. At Sea. Usual routine. Gymns. Breakfast. Had a row with Boss. Saw Purser. Boat Drill. Lunch. Sent letter home. Nice weather.

9 February:(5 Weeks out) Valparaiso.Valpo at 11:30 a.m. Lash up. Three letters from home, Aunt Emma and John.

10 February:Valpo

11 February:Valpo

12 February:Left for South at 9 a.m.

13 February:Coranel at 10 a.m. Left at 7:30 p.m. Met Betty and a few more. A1.

14 February:Tolcohuano

15 February:San Antonia at 6:30 a.m.

16 February:Valpo (Six weeks out)

17 February:Valpo

18 February:Left Valpo at 1 p.m. Glad to get away. We heard this week that we are lying up indefintely. Sent letters to Aunt Emma, Uncle Tom and one to John.

1 March:Sunday. Wasco at 8 a.m. Jolly Warm. First time we have been to Wasco, I think.

2 March:Antofogasta at 7 a.m. Usual routine, very close. Felt bad. Diarrhea or colic, I think. Mejillones at 9 p.m. Turned in at 9:20 p.m.

3 March :Mejillones. Tallying 8-12, 12-? Left at 4:30 p.m. Not too well but feel better than yesterday.

4 March:Iquique at 5:30 a.m., left at 1 p.m. Usual routine. Feel a bit better now. Getting warmer.

5 March:(Seven weeks out) Mollendo at 6 a.m. Left at 2 p.m. Proper rough house front this. Revolution on at present.

6 March:At Sea. Warm. Usual routine. 4 weeks to go. Reported sick with a touch of dysentry. Turned in at 9:30 p.m.

7 March:Callas at 6 a.m. Cool, left at 12:30 p.m. Much excitement over President leaving for Continent. Dysentry none too good. Turned in at 9 p.m. No mail at all. All the lads doing a moan. I have not been too well this week, owing to diarrhea which turned into dysentry (I think). Much talk of Oropesa lying up for an indefinite period.

8 March:Sunday. Salaverry at 5:30 a.m. Usual routine. Cool. Rotten stink about this place. Frank tallying so I ran the whole show. Left Salaverry at 8 p.m. Turned in at 9 p.m.

9 March:Puerto Chicharmel at 6:30 a.m. Usual routine. Frank tallying so on my own. Turned in from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Ran tea with Frank. Quite cool in the evening. Blew up for dinner. Feel fine now. Up to Ginger's for Tea and a long Talk. Old times in general and the Clifton. Jolly Fine. Turned in 10:45 p.m. Cool.

10 March:Elten at 6:30 a.m., left at 12:30 p.m. Cool, considering so near equator. Frank Tallying so carried on with ice cream at 11 a.m. Blew up for dinner. Pimental at 12, left 9:30 p.m. Ran French Mother & Daughter dinner on deck. Up to Ginger's. Beautiful and cool. Turned in at 10 p.m.

11 March:Paita at 7:45 a.m. A bit warm, usual routine. Left Paita at 2 p.m. and I am not sorry to leave the coast of Peru either. Up to Ginger's & turned in at 10:30 p.m.

12 March:(Eight weeks out) At Sea. On the line. Jolly warm. Usual routine, Lunch at 1 p.m. Teas at 4 p.m. Mrs Reed for gymns at 5:30. A1. Stan blew up for me. Cooler now sun has dropped. Up to Ginger's for talk on biking in general. Ablutions. Turned in at 10:30 p.m.

13 March:At Sea (Three weeks to go) Usual routine. Wind blowing, Beautiful and cool for this part of the world. Lunch. Turn in. Nothing in general. Dinner. Up to Ginger's. Turned in at 10:30 p.m. Blowing hard all day, cool which is rather unusual for these parts.

14 March:Balboa early morning. Usual routine. Two letters and papers. Rather close. Started through canal at 8 a.m. Cristobal at 5 p.m. Left at 8 p.m. Went ashore with Chippy and Ginger. Warm. Blew up for dinner. Up to Ginger's for Tea and Talk. Turned in at 9:45 p.m. Rather cool from Paita to the Canal for this part of the world for we cross the equator. Days are passing quickly but the temp (?) appears to be dragging.

15 March:At Sea. Usual routine. Rolling like a tub. Blowing. Got a bit of a sore throat. (?) for lunch, lash up, Teas. Feel rotten, a cold, I think. Seven for dinner, another lash up. Up to Ginger's for Tea and Talk. Ginger beer instead of tea. Turned in at 10 p.m. Jolly sticky during night.

16 March:At sea. Fine weather. Usual routine. Cool. Ice cream. Blew up for Lunch. Teas. Not much to do. Blew up for dinner. Two up on deck for Dinner. Rain storm. Up to Ginger's for T and a fine talk. Philosophy etc. Jolly stuffy down below. Turned in 11 p.m.

18 March:Havana at 6 a.m. Cool. Scrub out, etc. Frank tallying. No ice cream. Stood by for relief on tallying. Teas by myself at 4 p.m. Cool. Left Havana at 5:45 p.m.. Blew up for dinner. Changed into blues. No mail. Hung around. Up to Ginger's for Tea and Talk. Turned in at 10:30 p.m.

19 March:At Sea (Nine weeks out) Usual routine. Nice and cool. Blues. Ice cream. Played about with Pam and Peter. Blew up for lunch. Turned in, Teas at 4 p.m. Read a bit. Blew up for dinner. Helped on deck with gramophone. Up to Ginger's. Cool. Fooled about on deck with Frank, Harry and Stanley. Turned in at 10:30 p.m.

20 March:(Two week to go) At sea. Usual routine. Blues. Cool. Ice cream at 11 a.m. Boat and fire instruction at 11:45 a.m. Blew up for lunch. Turn in. Teas at 4 p.m. Watched the tennis for a while. Nothing to do in general and quite cold now at night-time. Blew up for dinner. Nursery ready for Mass tomorrow. Dinner. Up to Ginger's. Blowing a gale but good weather. Turned in at 10:30 p.m.

21 March:At sea. Half a gale blowing. Cold. Usual routine. Gymns. Breakfast. Turned out fine but blowing hard. Soup at 11 a.m. Nothing to do in general. Blew up at 1 p.m. Lunch. Cleaned canet (?) No turn in. Teas. Rolling like hell. Slack time. Blew up for dinner. Up to Ginger's. Felt queer. Rolling like h-ll. Turned in at 10 p.m. This is the coldest trip from Colon that OLD HANDS have ever known. Winter clothing in Havana. Time appears to drag a little to some of them. I never worry but I'll be glad to see the Liver building.

22 March:Sunday. Bermuda at 6 a.m. Usual routine. Very cold. Breaker. Soup. Passengers on and away by 11:15 a.m. A bit warmer. Blew up for lunch. Rolling like hell. Turned in. Teas at 4 p.m. Feel a bit green. Nothing to do. Blew up for dinner. Had a talk with J. Smith. Turned in at 9:45 p.m.

23 March:LONG RUN. At sea. Usual routine. Rolling today, raining like hell. Soup at 11 a.m. Plenty on deck. Fenced a bit with the President. Blew up for lunch. Rotten weather. Talk with Chippy. Teas at 4 p.m. Bad weather. Nothing to do. Read a bit. Up to Ginger's. Les playing whist. Ping-pong table fixed up in Nursery. Hot in glory hole.

24 March:LONG RUN. STORMY. At sea. Rolling along. Usual routine. Everywhere wet. Soup at 11 a.m. Lunch at 1 p.m. Developing.(?) Teas at 4 p.m. Nobody on deck. Felt queer. Retched, turned in about 6 p.m. The worst weather we've struck for a long time.

25 March:LONG RUN. STORMY. At sea. Rotten weather. Usual routine. Wet everywhere. Soup at 11 a.m. Turned in till 3:30 p.m. Weather cleared up but still had a bit (?). Teas. Blew up for dinner. Nothing to do. Up to Ginger's for T and Talk. Fixed ping pong up in nursery. Turned in at 10:35 p.m. Getting quite cold.

26 March:LONG RUN (Ten weeks out) At sea. Still rolling but weather more pleasant than yesterday. Usual routine. Soup at 11. Boss on warpath. Turned in. No Teas. A bit of spew-rolling all day. 1 dinner on deck. I believe we are 24 hours late. Turned in at 9 p.m. Feeling opening (?).

27 March:LONG RUN (One week to go). At sea. Better weather but still rolling. Usual routine but longer to scrub out. Breaker. Quite a crowd for soup at 11 a.m. Luck 3.(?) Weather gone beautiful but still rolling. Turn in, Teas, Blew up 2 (twice?) for dinner. Long talk with Ginger. Glory Hole flooded out. Race meeting in Smoke Room. Turned 9 in 11:30 p.m.

28 March:LONG RUN. At sea.Usual routine but a little longer and only slight roll. Breaker. Soup at 11 a.m. Strap up. Blew up for lunch. Boat drill at 11:45 a.m. Guard over Surgeon Commander Hovan. Weather A1. Turn in. Teas at 4 p.m. Kids sports. On guard on Surgeon Commander Hovan from 5-8 p.m. Back on guard, relieved at 10:10. Turned in 10:55 p.m. Ever since we left Bermuda, we have had terrible weather. Rolling all the time.

29 March :LONG RUN (Palm Sunday) Usual routine. Weather beautiful, hardly a roll. On guard for Surgeon Commander Hovan. Appears OK tonight. I had a talk with his fiancee Miss Tighe. Turned in at 11 p.m.

30 March:LONG RUN. At sea. We should have been at Vigo today but a day late. Usual routine. Beautiful weather. On guard, 7:45 a.m. till 2:30 p.m. Turn in. Teas. On guard. Rumpus at about 9:35 p.m. Turned in 11:15 p.m. Race meeting on in Smoke room. Vigo ahead.

31 March:Vigo late last night, Coruna. Left at 9:45 a.m. On guard. Cold and blowing a bit. Guard till 1 p.m. Papers form Aunt Emma, letter from home. Moved Surgeon Commander up to hospital. Raining. Turn in. Teas. Back on guard. Coruna at 6 p.m., left at 7. Dinner. Back on guard. Blowing a bit. Surgeon Commander quiet. Relieved at 10 p.m. Usual ablutions. Retired at 11 p.m.

1 April:SANTANDER at 11:30 a.m. Left at 2 p.m. Usual routine. Weather beautiful. On guard, 8 a.m. Breaker. Back on guard. Lunch. On guard. Beautiful weather. Off at 5:10 p.m. Relieved Miles for his dinner at 7 p.m. Dinner. Off guard. Up to Ginger's, usual routine.

2 April:LA PALLICE at 6 a.m., left at 8:50 a.m. Usual routine. Raining cold and blowing. Relieving guard. Breaker. Packed a little. Weather A1 again. Soup at 11. Relieving guard. Lunch. Rumpus with Surgeon Commander; I assisted. A bit of ironing. Afternoon Teas. Weather getting dull. Relieving guard. Up to Ginger's for Tea and a jolly fine Talk. Blowing like hell. Ushant 10:21 p.m.. Turn in 11 p.m.

3 April:Plymouth at 9 a.m. Relieving guard. Surgeon Commander off. Left at 11 a.m. Usual routine. Blowing a gale. Breaker. Cold and blowing. Soup. Took dishes down. Lunch at 1:35 p.m. Turn in 2:30-5:30. A1. Blowing but nice and fresh. A bit more packing. Up to Ginger's for a long talk, jolly fine. Sighted SMALLS 11 p.m. Bath. Turned in


(Copyright, Reverend Peter R. Jones)

(A long voyage, from 15 January until 4 April, 11 days under three months. All this with, admittedly, many ports of call but no relief from a demanding daily routine. For the return from the voyage's apogee, one gathers that the passenger-load was smaller with none of the outbound glamor of the royal party. Idleness ("Nothing to do," Jones laments more than once) and illness take their toll. A bout of dirty weather between Bermuda and Spain added to the crew's disaffection. A layup was in prospect and there was severe unrest along the lower decks. Note Jones's entry for 5 March:"...Proper rough house front this. Revolution on at present," an observation that sounds more emotional than climatalogical; then two days later:"All the lads doing a moan."

Reverend Jones writes:"One feature I am particularly wanting to get to the heart of is Surgeon Commander Hovan.( 28 March onwards.) I am most curious as to him being "under guard" possibly because an illness caused him to be violent-and I wonder if he ever married his fiancee, Miss Tighe (29 March)? I have so far established his probable identity as James Mulvihill Hovan, MD, Bch, April, 1931, HMS Delhi, 8th cruiser squadron, July 31st, listed retired."

The obstreperous Surgeon Commander apparently suffered some sort of mental breakdown that required restraint, adding to the responsibilities of the stewards. A "rumpus" or two, at which Jones "assisted," hints of sudden and unpredictable violence that argued well for his confinement. It is interesting that homebound Oropesa called first at Plymouth-rather the way French Line ships did heading up-Channel to Le Havre with English clients on board-to off-load impatient passengers who did not care for another day at sea while plowing north to Liverpool. Small wonder that poor Surgeon Commander Hovan was disembarked as well, creating a sense of enormous relief on board from the master on down.

Seaman Jones's last relaxed afternoon on board is revealing. With his obstreperous prisoner gone, guard duty forgotten, as well as the ship's activites winding down,even tea duty apparently suspended, he rejoiced in a three-hour "turn in," naturally characterized as "A1."

Your Editor must express his thanks once again to Reverend Jones for granting us the privilege of reproducing his father's diary aboard Oropesa. And it cannot be said too often, if any Ocean Liner Museum members have any informatiuon about the ship, however apparently peripheral, they are urged to communicate with Reverend Jones.)


About the


Become a




This page, and all contents, are Copyright (C) 1995 - 2001 by the Ocean Liner Museum and/or its suppliers.
For more information about the Ocean Liner Museum, click here or call us at 212.717.6251